Up to 6,500 vehicles a day could be breaking the width restrictions in the Rotherhithe Tunnel, according to Transport for London. Around 30,000 vehicles use the tunnel each day.
TfL this week wrote to local people reminding them that vehicles more than two metres (six foot six inches) wide are not permitted through the Rotherhithe Tunnel.
Wide vehicles, generally vans or bigger, were banned from the tunnel in 2012.
Glynn Barton, TfL’s Director of Network Management, said: “These restrictions are in place for very important reasons. This tunnel is more than a century old and was not designed for these types of vehicle so vans and wider vehicles risk colliding inside it, increasing road danger and disruption in the area.
“We brought these restrictions in six years ago and we are reminding Londoners that they are there and why they are so important.”
TfL has identified that up to 6,500 vehicles wider than the restrictions could be entering the tunnel every day, despite the signage on all approaches highlighting the restrictions.
Vehicles that use the tunnel illegally risk receiving a fine of £50 or prosecution.
Drivers restricted from the Rotherhithe Tunnel should use Tower Bridge or the Blackwall Tunnel – both of which are outside of the Congestion Charge.
The current long-term gas works in Lower Road will be suspended between Monday 26 February and Monday 5 March whilst the road is reinstated for ‘The Big Half’ marathon on Sunday 4 March.
“It is very difficult at this stage to say what phase of our work we will be at when we come to suspend, because we are currently experiencing a number of engineering difficulties that are causing some delays,” said Dan Edwards of Southern Gas Networks.
“We are doing all we can to overcome these as quickly and safely as possible, however as a result we are running slightly behind schedule.
“We will still be working extended hours to complete our work as safely and quickly as possible.
“We are mindful of those people who live in the area, and will try to keep noisy activity to a minimum where possible.”
The Night Overground service on the East London line will be expanded next weekend as services extend north to Canonbury and Highbury & Islington stations from Friday 23 February.
The new service will link the Night Overground to the overnight service on Victoria line for the first time .
The Night Overground has run on Friday and Saturday nights between Dalston Junction and New Cross Gate since December last year.
TfL says that already more than 35,000 journeys have been made on the route.
The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: “Following our hugely successful launch of the Night Tube, I’m delighted that we will be able to extend the Night Overground service to help even more Londoners.
“This extension will connect the Night Overground to the Night Tube. These night-time services are providing a huge boost to our economy and a safe and reliable way for people to travel across the capital, helping all those working hard during the night or out enjoying everything the capital’s nightlife has to offer.”
The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, last month announced six new cycle routes including a new link from Rotherhithe to Peckham.
City Hall says design work will begin immediately but it could take up to five years for the plans to come to fruition.
One of the six proposals is a 4km route which would link Canada Water and Surrey Quays with Peckham and connect up other cycling routes such as Quietway 1 and the proposed Cycle Superhighway 4.
Dr Will Norman, London’s Walking and Cycling Commissioner, said: “High-quality cycling infrastructure cannot simply be an option available to a minority of Londoners, and our new Strategic Cycling Analysis shows that there is huge potential for getting more people to cycle all across the city.
“Backed up by the Mayor’s record investment, we’re working in close collaboration with London boroughs to design six new cycle routes that would connect key town centres, join up existing cycle infrastructure, and start to create a genuinely pan-London network of cycle routes accessible to millions more Londoners.”
“We’re writing to make you aware of our forthcoming upgrade of our gas network in Lower Road, Rotherhithe. This essential work involves the replacement of old metal gas mains with new plastic pipe to ensure we continue to provide a safe and reliable gas supply to the local area. Our contractor Forefront Utilities will undertake this work on our behalf.
“So that we can minimise disruption, we have carefully consulted and planned our works in partnership with London Borough of Southwark Council. Our project will start on Monday 8 January and last approximately 13 weeks.
“We’ll be working in Lower Road in four phases. To ensure everyone’s safety throughout all four phases we will be closing one northbound lane of Lower Road and we need to suspend some bus stops to maintain traffic flow and minimise disruption. Details of where we’ll be working and our lane closure are set out below:
Phase 1 – approx. 3 weeks – On Monday 8 January we’ll start work in Lower Road opposite 1 to 12, Wells House. Our northbound lane closure will be between 64 Lower Road and Helen Peele Cottages
Phase 2 – approx. 3 weeks – Progressing south on Lower Road we’ll be working between numbers 54 and 68. Our northbound lane closure will be from outside the Everyone Active Sports centre to 54 Lower Road
Phase 3 – approx. 3 weeks – We’ll continue our work on Lower Road, outside the Everyone Active Sports centre. Our northbound lane closure remains outside the Everyone Active Sports centre but is now only to 66 Lower Road
Phase 4 – approx. 4 weeks – For phase 4 we will be working at the junction of Ann Moss way and outside St Olave’s House Nursing Home. Our northbound lane closure will be in place from 54 Lower Road to the junction of Ann Moss Way. We will also be closing the bus lane between the junction of Ann Moss Way and Rotherhithe Free Church. There will be no left turn into Ann Moss Way from Lower Road and we will have a signed diversion in place. We will also be suspending some parking in Ann Moss Way.
“We will be working extended hours to complete our work as safely and quickly as possible. We are mindful of those people who live in the area, and will try to keep noisy activity to a minimum where possible.
“All businesses in the local area will remain open as usual. We do have a compensation scheme in place for local businesses which suffer a genuine loss of trade because of our work. Packs are available from our website, sgn.co.uk, via the Publications section.
“I understand that roadworks can be frustrating. However, the new plastic pipe has a minimum lifespan of 80 years. This means that when the work is complete, Rotherhithe residents will continue to enjoy the benefits of a safe and reliable gas supply for years to come.”
Transport for London claims that recent changes to the road layout on the southern approach to the Rotherhithe Tunnel has had the effect of cutting journey times for buses along Jamaica Road by 2.5 minutes.
In his report to last week’s board meeting, TfL commissioner Mike Brown wrote: “We have delivered more than 80 of our planned 170 bus priority schemes for 2017-18 across 18 London boroughs, both on our roads and borough road networks.
“One such scheme is the creation of an extra lane on the northbound approach to Rotherhithe Tunnel, which is estimated to deliver 2.5 minutes of journey time saving per bus in both directions.
“These schemes have provided aggregated bus journey time savings of more than one hour.”
Transport for London has launched a public consultation on plans for a bridge for pedestrians and cyclists across the Thames from Rotherhithe to Canary Wharf.
Two possible landing points on the Rotherhithe side have been presented: Nelson Dock and Durand’s Wharf.
TfL says: “Based on the studies that we have carried out so far, we propose a navigable bridge as our preferred option for a river crossing between Rotherhithe and Canary Wharf. Whilst there is a strong case for providing a river crossing, we do not wish to prevent the continued use of the River Thames for the transport of people and goods.”
Val Shawcross, Deputy Mayor for Transport, said: “It’s great news that we’ve started the formal process for a new walking and cycling crossing between Rotherhithe and Canary Wharf. This area of east London has seen huge growth in recent years, and our desire for a dedicated crossing for cyclists and pedestrians shows our real commitment to greener forms of transport across London.
“It will provide vital new connections to work, shopping and leisure facilities for thousands of local residents and provide a new route for commuters into Canary Wharf. We now want everyone to have their say before we outline further details of how we can make this ambition a reality.”
Full details of the consultation – which runs till 8 January 2018 – can be found here.
Transport for London has recently circulated this letter:
I am writing to inform you that for five nights a week from 13 November to 8 December, a series of temporary closures of Rotherhithe Tunnel are planned.
This is so we can carry out essential investigation works and test safety systems in the tunnel.
These investigation works will inform future refurbishment works. We are working overnight to help minimise any inconvenience that may be caused.
How the works may affect you
We plan to close the tunnel, between 22:00 – 05:00, during the following nights:
Monday 13 November – Friday 17 November
Monday 20 November – Friday 24 November
Monday 27 November – Friday 1 December
Monday 4 December – Friday 8 December
The tunnel will re-open at 05:00 each morning following the investigation works.
Temporary traffic diversions, via Tower Bridge, will be signed but please plan ahead, allow more time and use alternative routes where possible.
Please note that while every effort will be made to complete the works as planned, poor weather or unforeseen conditions may result in the works, and associated tunnel closures, being rescheduled at short notice.
Visit tfl.gov.uk/trafficnews or follow @TfLTrafficNews on Twitter for live road travel updates.
Cyclists and pedestrians
There will be no pedestrian or cyclist access during the investigation works due to safety precautions. Please follow signed diversion routes.
Find out more
In addition, we plan to carry out investigation works in the Blackwall Tunnel in December 2017 and January 2018. These investigation works will also require temporary overnight closures. Travel advice can be found at tfl.gov.uk/traffic/status
We apologise in advance for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience while we complete these essential investigative works.
Should you have any questions or concerns about the works, please contact us using the details at the top of this letter.
Director, Project & Programme Delivery – Surface Transport Transport for London