Data released this week by the Office for National Statistics shows that between 1 March and 17 April, around 30 residents of SE16 had died with COVID-19 mentioned on their death certificates.
The data uses Middle Super Output Areas (MSOAs), geographical designations used for census purposes.
The part of SE16 with the highest number of COVID-19 deaths is the eastern half of the Rotherhithe peninsula (dubbed ‘Surrey Quays’ by the House of Commons Library) where 13 deaths where COVID-19 was cited on the death certificate had been recorded in the six weeks starting on 1 March.
There are five MSOAs which together cover approximately the same area as the SE16 postcode:
- Surrey Quays (Southwark 008) – 13 deaths
- South Bermondsey East (Southwark 011) – 6 deaths
- South Bermondsey Central (Southwark 010) – 5 deaths
- Canada Water (Southwark 007) – 3 deaths
- Rotherhithe (Southwark 001) – 2 deaths
- Bermondsey East (Southwark 004) – 1 death