Donald Hunter – who served as radio officer on three Norwegian merchant ships carrying dangerous cargoes to allied forces – at the memorial outside the Norwegian Church

Three war memorials in Rotherhithe have been given listed status by the Government this week in the run up to Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday.

The three newly listed memorials are:

 

At present, the Jubilee line runs 30 trains an hour at the busiest times.

Under now cancelled plans to buy extra trains, Tube bosses hoped to reach 34 or 36 trains an hour.

Next May TfL will extend the period during which the highest frequency operates from one hour to two.

Without extra trains in the fleet, it is now hoped to reach 31 or 32 trains an hour in 2019.

Learn more by watching this video of the London Assembly transport committee’s session this morning:

Transport for London has launched a public consultation on plans for a bridge for pedestrians and cyclists across the Thames from Rotherhithe to Canary Wharf.

Two possible landing points on the Rotherhithe side have been presented: Nelson Dock and Durand’s Wharf.

TfL says: “Based on the studies that we have carried out so far, we propose a navigable bridge as our preferred option for a river crossing between Rotherhithe and Canary Wharf. Whilst there is a strong case for providing a river crossing, we do not wish to prevent the continued use of the River Thames for the transport of people and goods.”

Val Shawcross, Deputy Mayor for Transport, said: “It’s great news that we’ve started the formal process for a new walking and cycling crossing between Rotherhithe and Canary Wharf. This area of east London has seen huge growth in recent years, and our desire for a dedicated crossing for cyclists and pedestrians shows our real commitment to greener forms of transport across London.

“It will provide vital new connections to work, shopping and leisure facilities for thousands of local residents and provide a new route for commuters into Canary Wharf. We now want everyone to have their say before we outline further details of how we can make this ambition a reality.”

Full details of the consultation – which runs till 8 January 2018 – can be found here.

TfL is holding public exhibitions in SE16 on Saturday 18 November and Thursday 23 November.

 

Transport for London has recently circulated this letter:

I am writing to inform you that for five nights a week from 13 November to 8 December, a series of temporary closures of Rotherhithe Tunnel are planned.

This is so we can carry out essential investigation works and test safety systems in the tunnel.

These investigation works will inform future refurbishment works.
We are working overnight to help minimise any inconvenience that may be caused.

How the works may affect you

We plan to close the tunnel, between 22:00 – 05:00, during the following nights:

  • Monday 13 November – Friday 17 November
  • Monday 20 November – Friday 24 November
  • Monday 27 November – Friday 1 December
  • Monday 4 December – Friday 8 December

    The tunnel will re-open at 05:00 each morning following the investigation works.

    Temporary traffic diversions, via Tower Bridge, will be signed but please plan ahead, allow more time and use alternative routes where possible.

    Please note that while every effort will be made to complete the works as planned, poor weather or unforeseen conditions may result in the works, and associated tunnel closures, being rescheduled at short notice.

    Visit tfl.gov.uk/trafficnews or follow @TfLTrafficNews on Twitter for live road travel updates.

Cyclists and pedestrians

There will be no pedestrian or cyclist access during the investigation works due to safety precautions. Please follow signed diversion routes.

Find out more

In addition, we plan to carry out investigation works in the Blackwall Tunnel in December 2017 and January 2018. These investigation works will also require temporary overnight closures. Travel advice can be found at tfl.gov.uk/traffic/status

We apologise in advance for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience while we complete these essential investigative works.

Should you have any questions or concerns about the works, please contact us using the details at the top of this letter.

Yours faithfully

Nick Fairholme

Director, Project & Programme Delivery – Surface Transport Transport for London

TfL’s decision to delay the purchase of extra Jubilee line trains – widely seen as essential if large-scale development is to take place at Canada Water – is to be scrutinised by the London Assembly’s transport committee next week.

10 additional trains on the Jubilee line would allow for a 36 trains-per-hour service.

Val Shawcross (deputy mayor for transport) and David Hughes (London Underground) will face questions from AMs on Wednesday 8 November at 10am. The meeting will be streamed live at www.youtube.com/londonassembly

Val Shawcross is a former London Assembly member for Lambeth & Southwark and a past chair of City Hall’s transport committee.

Details of two Dispersal Areas in Bermondsey (using powers under the Antisocial Behaviour, Crime & Policing Act 2014) have been announced by Southwark Police:

Two new heraldic stone plaques were unveiled in King George’s Field, Rotherhithe, by the former Mayor for Southwark, Cllr Kath Whittam, earlier this month.

The stone plaques were funded through Bermondsey & Rotherhithe Community Council’s Cleaner Greener Safer (CGS) programme

The Friends of Southwark Park applied for CGS funding to create replicas of the stone plaques, as the originals were destroyed during the Blitz.

The plaques show symbols from the royal coat of arms; a Lion (England) and a Unicorn (Scotland).  The plaques were made by London company – Priest Stoneworks – and can now be found at the entrance to King George’s Fields, Lower Road.

Cllr Barrie Hargrove, Cabinet Member for Communities, Leisure and Safety, said:  “These heraldic plaques are a fantastic way to bring Southwark’s history back to life and continue to ensure that these green spaces are maintained for the public, now and in the future.”

Education watchdog Ofsted has published its latest verdict on Bacon’s College – judged ‘inadequate’ by inspectors earlier this year.

Three inspectors visited the secondary school on 15 September for a follow-up visit and their letter to principal Chris Mallaband has now been made public.

According to Ofsted inspector Mark Phillips, “leaders and managers are taking effective action towards the removal of special measures”.

The inspectors also deemed the college’s action plan to be “fit for purpose”.

At the end of last term Bacon’s College announced it would be joining the United Learning chain of schools.